Thirty Lake Technical College students received high marks and were awarded medals during the regional SkillsUSA competitions.
Lake Tech’s SkillsUSA chapter is made up of over 270 students and advisors, many of which recently competed at the Region 3 level. The students who received medals at the regional competition will move on to the state level competitions April 23-26, 2017 at the SkillsUSA Florida State Leadership and Skills Conference in Lakeland, FL. Congratulations to the following Lake Technical College students (* indicates a high school student who is dual-enrolled at Lake Technical College):
- Culinary Arts: Christina Keith – Baking- Gold; Thomas Nash – Hot Foods – Gold.
- Medical Assisting: Stephanie Spoon – CPR/First Aid- Gold; Cassandra Labour – CPR/First Aid- Silver; Francisco Murillo – Medical Assisting- Silver; Becky Rodriguez – Medical Assisting- Bronze; Stephanie Ruiz-Perez – Job Interviewing – Bronze.
- Pharmacy Technician: Hailey Hadden – Medical Math- Gold; Eldresah Hughes – Prepared Speech – Gold.
- Administrative Office Specialist: Lynnette Gibbs – Customer Service- Silver; Jacqueline Villegas – Customer Service – Bronze; John Keith – Extemporaneous Speaking – Silver.
- HVAC: Kareem Rahim – HVAC secondary*- Gold; Christopher Herring – HVAC secondary*- Silver.
- Diesel: James Cefalo – Diesel secondary*- Gold; Hayden Niblack – Diesel Post-Secondary- Silver.
- Cosmetology: Michelle Evey – Cosmetology postsecondary – Silver; Kelli Meoak – Cosmetology postsecondary – Bronze; Alyssa Deshenes – Cosmetology secondary* – Gold; Taylor Hatcher – Cosmetology secondary* – Silver.
- Nail Care: Brianna Rose – Nail Care postsecondary – Bronze, model Caitlin Hartog.
- Facials: Rodrianna Stevenson – Facials postsecondary – Gold, model Ashleigh Rowe; Amy Dunkel – Facials postsecondary – Bronze, model Kourtney Archer; Whitney Blanchett – Facials secondary* – Gold, model Makenna Fross; Kailie Barnett – Facials secondary* – Bronze, model Lushonda Langle.
The students are currently raising funds to help cover their travel expenses to the State competitions. Donations can be made directly to the Lake Tech Business Office for SkillsUSA – please call 352.589.2250, ext. 1827.
SkillsUSA is a nationally recognized organization whose mission is to “empower its members to become world-class workers, leaders and responsible American citizens. SkillsUSA improves the quality of America’s skilled workforce through a structured program of citizenship, leadership, employability, technical and professional skills training. SkillsUSA enhances the lives and careers of students, instructors and industry representatives as they strive to be champions at work.” More about SkillsUSA can be found on their website www.SkillsUSA.org.