History

In 1963 the Lake County School Board (LCSB) requested approval from the Florida Department of Education to build a vocational center. In the fall of 1965, state and federal construction funds were received under the Vocational Education Act of 1963. While waiting for a facility to be built, Cosmetology, Auto Mechanics and Business Education programs began in the fall of 1966 in Leesburg, Florida.

In July 1968 the main campus construction was completed on the present 37½-acre site. Construction for the IPS extension campus began in 1992 and was completed in 1994. IPS is located on two separate properties and includes state-of-the-art firing and driving ranges as well as classroom facilities for Fire Fighter, Law Enforcement Officer and Correctional Officer programs. LTC’s campuses have grown to encompass 231,548 square feet.

In a joint venture with Lake Sumter State College, Lake Technical College opened an Instructional Service Center in Clermont in April of 2016.  Lake Technical College – Clermont is located on the campus of Lake Sumter State College (LSSC) at 1250 North Hancock Road, Clermont, Florida. Practical Nursing and Paramedic are currently available at this location.

In January 2018, the Center for Advanced Manufacturing, located at the main campus, was opened to prepare students for careers in many aspects of manufacturing and to honor and recognize the 300 plus local manufacturers in Lake County.

In January 2021, Lake Technical College opened Veterinary Assisting at the Lake County Animal Shelter’s new location. The program is housed at 12280 County Road 448 in Tavares.

Skip to content