Operation Teamwork a Big Success!
Fifty (yes, 50) people showed up on Saturday, March 10 for Operation Teamwork – a day designed to beautify the landscaping at Lake Tech. Staff, Lake Tech students, Eustis High School students, and business partners assisted in making this day a huge success. Thanks to those who were able to participate. A great big thanks to our Gardening Gurus – Kathy Roberts and Pam Netherton who organized, designed, directed, and encouraged us to believe that we could all be gardeners! Check out the front of the building, the garden behind Kathy Robert’s classroom, and the new rose garden as you walk from A Building to B Building. In addition, trees were trimmed, boulders repositioned, and we even have a spot ready for a sculpture.
opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file
The Day Nursing students will present a “Spring Fashion Show” to raise money for their class. The fashions are sponsored by Patchington and lunch will be served. The event will take place at the Waterfront Inn, Lake Sumter Landing in the Villages on March 22 at 11 am. Tickets are $25 and are available by calling Teresa at 352.414.6806 or DD at 352. 217.3806. Tickets are also available at Patchington’s, 1169 Main Street, Spanish Springs, The Villages, 352.751.1056. What a great way to enjoy lunch, see some new fashions, and assist the Day Nursing students!
Law, Public Safety & Security
Night Law took the Crime Scene Investigation exam last night, everyone passed! The Day Law Enforcement started Firearms training on Thursday which is always exciting for everyone.
The next Corrections program will start on April 2.
On Saturday, Adult Education instructors participated in a Career Pathways training that emphasized the use of one of our new software programs — SkillsTutor. This flexible online curriculum provides differentiated instruction and intervention for the classroom environment as well as anytime/anywhere learning. The instructors had an incredible time and really felt like they learned a lot and could instantly transfer the learning to the classroom. Expect great things in the coming months. This will be the “finish strong” semester.
What the instructors are saying about the workshop they attended on Saturday:
“I thought it was a fantastic training session as well – very relevant.” – Art Seidner
“I loved the time spent there Saturday.” –Ashley Treadway
“I’m buying in. I think this program is comprehensive and appealing in many ways. We should find success on many levels.” –Zoe Cain
“This was a very good workshop!” –Chuck Durante
This week, ESOL celebrated a birthday in grand fashion. Here’s a picture of our instructor, Marvina Hooper, with some of her students.
Scholarship Opportunities for your Dual Enrollment Students
If you have a dual enrolled student from Eustis High School, please let him/her know that the Woman’s Club of Eustis is offering a $500 scholarship to a EHS student who wants to enroll at Lake Tech upon graduation. The application is posted on the high school’s websiteopens in a new window.
The Villages Motor Racing Fan Club is offering a $500 scholarship to a graduating senior from Lake, Sumter, or Marion County who has motor racing interests and who will be pursuing higher education in a field related to the world of motor racing. Here are the requirements:
- Must live in Lake, Sumter, or Marion County
- Applicant must be accepted to an institution of higher education (technical centers included) on a full time basis
- Must have at least a 2.5 GPA
- Applicant must submit an acceptance letter for the higher education institution, a high school transcript, 2 non-family letters of reference, and a 2-page essay describing his/her interests in motor sports and the applicant’s long-range career objectives
- Deadline – March 31
If you have any graduating seniors who are interested in applying for this scholarship, please ask them to see Mrs. Jones in Admissions.
In the Community
- On March 13, Diane Culpepper will be attending the South Lake Chamber Education Advisory Committee meeting and on March 14, she will speak to the Umatilla’s Women’s Club.
- Mark your calendars for March 14th. We will have a booth from 1 pm until 7 pm at the Mount Dora/Tavares Joint Chamber Business Expo, Lake Receptions, Mount Dora. Please encourage your students to attend this great networking opportunity.
- On March 15, Lake Tech has been invited to attend the Lake County Manufacturing Industry CEO Roundtable to discuss manufacturing opportunities and careers in Lake County.
- Also, on March 17, Chuck Durante, GED Instructor, and Steve Bagg, HVAC/Solar Instructor, will represent Lake Tech at the Green Festival which will be held at Cooper Memorial Library from 10 am until 2 pm.