In the Weeks Ahead at Lake Tech
- Mark Perna on campus, February 3 & 4
- LinkedIn Workshop, February 9, 3- 4 pm in Career Success Center
- CTE on the Hill, February 11
- Youth Career Expo, March 9
- Spring Creek 8th Graders to Tour, March 11
Business Management & Administration
Accounting Operations / Administrative Office Specialist – Last week we highlighted graduates of our programs. Today we are featuring our new students as we opened our classroom doors to welcome our future graduates. It was a very busy week as we described our programs, goals, and information about Lake Tech. The students did take time for a picture. Our new class includes Austin Via, Alexis Ramos, Kayla McNair, and Callie Messer. The second picture includes Debra Blair, Nick Hobbs, and Ashley Barefoot. Missing is Nathalie Brutus.
We also welcome Mr. Mike Gray of United Way. He will be teaching an IRS Tax Payer’s Certification class for the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program to the students in our business programs. Here he is shown describing this program to our class. We will have more information about this program over the next few weeks.
Practical Nursing – The Practical Nursing students spent this week on the sensory disorders. They learned to use otoscopes, ophthalmoscopes, and tuning forks. What a fun way to learn.
Hospitality & Tourism
Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts – The Culinary students and instructors continue to make beautiful creations. This week was no exception. Homemade bagels, French pastries, and cake – WOW!
Transportation & Logistics
Automotive Service Technology – The students have been busy since returning for 2015. Two new students joined the program this semester. The pictures show the students working on different projects from maintenance to engine building.
Diesel Technology – Instructor Randy Yates and the Lake County School Board Transportation Department recently developed a partnership which will provide the opportunity for Lake Tech students to spend two days a week working side-by-side with the Lake County School Board school bus technicians. Transportation Service Manager Randy Belton has been instrumental in assisting with the project.
Did you know that LinkedIn is the #1 social media tool to help in getting an interview? Learn how to create a LinkedIn profile that will attract potential employers. This workshop will be held in the Career Success Center on Monday, February 9 from 3 – 4 pm. Space is limited, so make sure you sign up with Ms. Rosenglick at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up on the door of the Career Success Center.
The Career Success Center is open on Mondays (11 am until 6:30 pm), Wednesdays and Fridays (8:30 am until 4 pm). Services offered include developing and refining resumes, cover letters, and portfolios, interviewing techniques, job search assistance, and much more. Please share this information with students and graduates. The Career Success Center is located in Room A-208.
The Lake Tech Financial Aid Office has a Facebook page! Tell your students and those interested in financial aid as well as scholarships to Like Lake Tech Financial Aid Office.
Dr. Sherie Lindamood is serving as the Student Success Counselor this year. Please invite her to speak to your classes about stress management, study skills, and test taking strategies. She will be spending Tuesdays at the Institute of Public Safety to students on that campus will have the opportunity to utilize her services.
In the Community
- Lake Tech was a “Cookie” sponsor for the Sweet Treats for a Cause event which took place on January 24. Diane Culpepper modeled an outfit from Gator Harley Davidson (Yikes). All proceeds from the events support the Arts in Lake County Schools.
- Kim Frazier will be making a presentation about Lake Tech at the Tavares Library on January 28.
- Several students and instructors will make a presentation at Triangle Elementary School on February 11 as part of the school’s Career Day.
Death by PowerPoint?? Read this very interesting article:
Kudos and Congrats!
- Sonya Rosenglick was invited to present at the FETC Conference held in Orlando last week. FETC brings together education leaders and technology experts to exchange techniques and strategies for teaching and learning success. We are very proud that Sonya was asked to make a presentation on “Using QR Codes in the Classroom!
- Kudos to Lake Tech Charter Board member, Rev. Isacc B. Deas, II, Ed.D won the Leesburg Area Chamber of Commerce’s Humanitarian Award. You are very deserving indeed!
- Lana Taylor and Rick Payne were married on Sunday. Congrats to them!