Congratulations, SkillsUSA Winners!
Everyone loves winners and winners love wearing their medals! That’s exactly what the Lake Technical Center’s SkillsUSA winners are doing this week; they are wearing their competition medals with pride! Lake Tech’s career and technical education programs had great success at the SkillsUSA Region 3 Leadership and Skills competitions held February 29th – March 2 at Traviss Technical Center, Lakeland and Ridge Technical Center, Winter Haven. The winners will be representing Region 3 at the Florida State Championships in Pensacola, April 30- May 2. Lake Technical Center is pleased to announce the following winners:
- Adult Cosmetology- 1st place, Cynthia Malagon; Adult Cosmetology, 2nd place, Liz Peters; High School Cosmetology, 3rd place, Joshua Roach, Dual-enrolled Umatilla High School
- Adult Nail Care, 1st place, Quantesia Smith (model Amanda Lozano); Adult Nail Care, 2nd place, Tatiana Borges (model Aimee Delduca); High School Nail Care, 2nd place, Stormy Bennett , Dual-enrolled Umatilla High School (model Terisa Leclair)
- Adult Facial Specialty, 3rd place, Jeanna Bemis (model Lacey Price); High School Facial Specialty, 3rd place, Ciara Wohlgemuth, Dual-enrolled South Lake High School (model Nichole Pounders)
- Job Skills Demo, 1st place, Brian Larson, Cosmetology
- Extemporaneous Speech, 3rd place, Jessica Tarbox, Administrative Assistant
- Prepared Speech, 3rd place, Heather Anderson, Digital Design
- Job Interview, 3rd place and Customer Service 2nd place, Kristin Payne, Administrative Assistant
- Adult Advertising Design, 2nd place, Caleb Wayne Jensen, Digital Design; High School Advertising Design, 1st place, Caitlyn Werner, Digital Design, Dual-enrolled Home School
- Technical Computer Applications, 3rd place, Mariah Wright, Administrative Assistant
- Adult Commercial Baking, 1st place, Travis Roy, Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts; Adult Commercial Baking, 2nd place, Gabriel Acevedo, Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts; High School Commercial Baking, 1st place, Ryan Close, Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts, Dual-enrolled Tavares High School; Adult Culinary Arts, 1st place, Natalie Sante, Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts
SkillsUSA is a national nonprofit organization serving teachers and high school and college students who are preparing for careers in trade, technical and skilled service occupations, including health occupations. It was formerly known as VICA (Vocational Industrial Clubs of America). SkillsUSA helps each student excel and is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce.
SkillsUSA serves more than 313,000 students and instructors annually and answers the call of American industry by helping to produce better-prepared employees for the technical workforce. The organization has 13,000 school chapters in 54 state and territorial associations. More than 16,500 instructors and administrators are professional members of SkillsUSA. Florida has 6 regions with more than 11,000 members.