To apply for admission into the Correctional Officer program, each applicant must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a high school graduate or its equivalent (GED)
- Not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to any felony or any misdemeanor involving perjury, false statement or domestic violence
- Not have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States
- Be of a good moral character
- Have passed a physical examination by a licensed Florida physician
- Possess a valid Florida Driver’s License
Institute of Public Safety Pre-application Procedure:
Financial aid may be available for those students who qualify. Please visit the Financial Aid Office at the Lake Tech main campus for information on services available. Eligible veterans may be certified for VA benefits through the Financial Aid Office.
Lake Tech requires that all applicants take and pass the CRIMINAL JUSTICE BASIC ABILITIES TEST (CJBAT) with a score of 75% or higher. Visit the Assessment Center page for testing scheduleopens in a new window. The cost of each administration of the CJBAT is $45 payable in cash, money order or credit card (MasterCard or Visa.) You may pre-register by calling 352.589.2250, or by registering in person at the Lake Tech main campus in the Admissions Office and prepay in the Business Office, 352.589.2250.
Conditional admission to the program will be based on the following:
- Those with qualifying CJBAT scores may obtain an application and proceed.
- Applications may be picked up at the Institute of Public Safety, 1565 Lane Park Cutoff, Tavares, FL 32778. For information call 352.742.6463.
- Complete the application.
- Driving history (certified copy) from a courthouse, (student’s expense/part of application).
- Medical examination (student’s expense/part of application).
- Written assignment of approximately 300 words on a common topic. The essays will be graded on a 20 point scale based on spelling, punctuation, grammar, and clarity of thought.
- Applicant interview.
- Upon conditional admission after the interview process, the applicant must have FDLE background clearance completed at the Institute of Public Safety, $44; as well as, a drug screen analysis at a designated laboratory, $48.50. We accept cash, check, money order or MC/Visa credit cards.