In the Weeks Ahead at Lake Technical College
- Florida SkillsUSA Board Meeting, Board Room, August 25 & 26
- Labor Day, September 4 – NO SCHOOL
- Senator Baxley to tour Lake Tech, September 6, 11 am -1 pm
- Constitution Day, September 18
Who Won Minute to Win It?
Why, Diesel Did!!
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATION
Accounting Operations / Administrative Office Specialist – The Accounting Operations and Administrative Office Specialist programs would like to welcome all the new and returning students. The new school year is off to a great start. The returning students are working on their advanced course work and our new students jumped right into learning new employability skills. All the students are excited about their new adventure and are excited about being at Lake Tech.
Paramedic – The Paramedic students graduated on August 16th. Tavares Fire Chief and Lake Tech Board member Richard Keith was the guest speaker. Local fire chiefs, family, and friends were on hand to celebrate. Megan Bateman’s husband was a graduate of this class.
Practical Nursing – The Practical Nursing students at the Sumterville campus got right to work after a summer off. Their new instructor, Debi Hampton, RN, welcomed her new students and they embraced her. Then the group got right to work. These students are our first group to join in our collaborative work with Lake Sumter State College’s Sumterville campus. They will graduate in January of 2018.
HOSPITALITY & TOURISM
Professional Culinary Arts & Hospitality – First week of school! Check! Catching up with the returning students and meeting all the new students and then fun in the kitchen on the first day – Check! Vegetable Cuts, Fresh Cream Pies, Blackened Pork Loin, Mozzarella Cheese from scratch! First Week! Culinary Rocks!
Cosmetology – First day cupcake fun!
TRANSPORTATION & LOGISTICS
Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing – We hit the ground running on August 14th. The new students completed their safety classes and were able to go out on the lab floor. Senior student Steve is showing a new student how to do plastic repair on the vehicle’s bumper.
Automotive Service Technology – New students in the AST program had a chance to familiarize themselves with tools and how important it is to put everything back together the same way it came apart. The pictures show the students in action from small engine disassembly to transmission removal.
Adult Basic Education – Adult Education is off to a great year! We have lots of students anxious to get down to business and work on their academic skills. You can see our new interactive math tables, where students can work in groups and write out problems on the whiteboard tabletops. Ms. Roberts lead our Minute to Win It team to victory this past week and we look forward to the challenge of next week’s competition!
ESOL – Bienvenidos. Velkommen. Failte. Yokoso. In other words, Welcome, from our ESOL classes at Lake Tech! Our new school year has gotten off to an exciting and productive start with students who have come to us from sixteen different countries! There is so much to learn about English, American Culture, and about each other. Our students are already speaking, writing, reading, and practicing pronunciation in English, and making new friends in the process. We are looking forward to an awesome semester!
Students have also been working on bringing up their TABE scores. This week, a celebration of the summer birthdays, took place on Thursday.
One of Lake Tech’s newest employees is Alyssa Carnegie. She is a Clerical Assistant at the Institute of Public Safety. In order for us to get to know her a little better, she was asked a few questions and provided the answers!
- What is at the top of your bucket list? At the top of my bucket list at the moment is to get a small part on The Walking Dead for just one episode. I’ve already been to the set. I would also like to visit every State at least once.
- What would surprise us the most about you? I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead and have met most of the cast at different conventions.
- What do you like about working at Lake Tech? I really like working with Tammy Ryan. She has been so helpful to me and is an awesome teacher! I also like the atmosphere here. It has been very pleasant and I’m happy to be able to help others.
- What do you like to do in your spare time? I like to read, bake, and come up with healthy meal ideas.
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Diane Culpepper will be attending the East Central Florida Planning Council Strategy meeting on August 23.
- Laurie Bryant and Diane Culpepper will be attending Lake County’s Workforce Taskforce Meeting on August 29.